A all around hunting load for a 30-06 or any caliber for big game may be a bit different then a dedicated "bear killer" for close range work. For sure a 200 grain Partition is a good choice and we used them for years. If I wanted to load up a "bear Killer" for the fairly rare charging bear I would either use the 220 grain semi-spitzer Nosler Partition or the 200 grain Barnes TSX, which I would suspect if both were driven close to 2,500 fps, would out penetrate the 220 grain Partition. But, I have no experience with either bullet at those weights.

Truth is, I really don't know any one that changes loads in their favorite "Old Betsy". Most every one I know runs a Barnes X of some flavor or a Nosler Partition or Accubond and they feel it is adequate for what ever pops out of the alders. For me personally, I kind of draw the line at a 168 grain TTSX out of a 30-06 for and all around Alaskan rifle and go up from there.

I used to think killing and penetration went hand in hand, with in reason. I still prefer my bullet to exit a critter, but I also want a good sized permanent wound channel and I know a Partition opens up quickly. Anyway, both should do the job, but I will probably go with the 200 grain Barnes TSX version if I ever want a "bear killer" load for my little 6 lb. Husqvarna Lite 30-06.