I have used 271 grain Hard Cast gas checked bullets in my 375. They shoot very accurately from 1500-1800fps. Haven't shot anything with them as Like Mainer I like some expansion. I have a 290 grain mold that will likely cast a 300 grain bullet and it is supposed to do very well in the 375 but I haven't got into it yet.

However tested on ballistic media what you get with an expanding bullet is a wound channel that looks like a turnip with a tapered tail at the end. Basically you get a rapidly growing wound channel that creates massive destruction for a bit and then closes up creating a very narrow channel at the end. With 255 grain bullets the channel will be about 12-20" long depending on media density. This large diameter channel creates a lot of shock and fast kills especially on smaller big game animals.

The Hard cast creates a carrot shaped wound channel. The wide flat point does create a bigger than caliber channel but one that is much less wide and much deeper than that of an expanding bullet. It penetrates 50-80% further but will not create the sudden immense shock, it will however be similar in width throughout it's depth. I would expect slower kills, and unless the animals are huge..over penetration. If the cast is the right mix of hardness without being brittle they should do really well on bone. For really big animals the penetration might be helpful but the 375 Win is not a giant killer. It will take moose but I wouldn't use one on Bison.

For game in its class the soft points are the way to go. An argument could be made for hard casts for Grizzly protection to allow penetration into the CNS. It's arguable at least. Not sure about that yet myself though.

Last edited by North61; 04/20/20.