I have owned Labs for 25 years and GSPs for 20 years. Labs want to please are are easy to train. GSP want to know why and are more difficult to train, but equally as intelligent as Labs. I use my GSP not only for upland hunting, but retrieving ducks in mild weather and dove. They are excellent swimmers and usually very soft mouthed when retrieving. GSP are smaller and lighter than your typical Lab and shed less. GSP take the heat better, but suffer in cold weather unless they are working or have good shelter. GSP take more exercise and work than Labs, but also have more endurance for pursuing upland game. GSP make decent retrievers but Labs are better. GSP have better noses, but don't mark downed birds as well as Labs do. GSP do not chew or dig as bad as Labs do. GSP live a few years longer on average than Labs do. I work mine as a pair when upland or dove hunting and during fair weather duck hunts. Both can be taught to blood trail and find antlers. Both are family and kid friendly-although some GSP bond with only one person. I love them both, but if could only have one breed it would be GSP at this time because I am not as avid a duck hunter as I once was and spend more time chasing pheasant and quail.