Originally Posted by woodmaster81
They are the Lab equivalent of the versatile breeds. I looked at GSPs when I was moving from Labs to pointing dogs. I ended up with a wirehair as I thought they were less common than they were

GSPs do most tasks very capably, there are a number of breeders and lines so one can find the characteristics desired somewhere. The only negative is they are not as capable of retriever as a Lab in regards to big water in cold conditions nor are they as good as a Lab in multiple marks. Being a pointing dog, they are a little more independent and may not take handling for blind retrieves as well as a Lab. Not that they can't do the task but they often wish to do it their way rather than yours.

My standard advice is to look up NAVHDA chapters in your neighborhood and join one. You do not need a dog (I was a member for 2 years before I got my first GWP) but the experience and contacts you get helping at training and tests is invaluable. You will learn more at a single training session than you will in a year on your own. Easily. It may be that you will find testing to be very enjoyable and it is a very good way of discovering shortcomings in your training program. It also pushes you and your dog to a point a little further than you thought capable which makes both of you better in the field.

NAVHDA is the way to going! Great advice.