Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Joel,
Great pics and good looking rifles!
Any idea what the shrike with edge shell and standard fill weights? And what is the advantage of this combination (weight savings - anything else?)
Have read that you can do edge shell/standard fill or regular glass/edge fill, just curious as to the why. Any change in recoil perception that you notice from your other legends?
Really appreciate it - and love your write ups and pics!

Thanks!

I haven’t taken it off finished to weigh it but I would guess around the 32 oz mark based off weighing it before it was finished. I think it was around 25 oz before finishing/without recoil pad.

As for the advantage of the edge shell, I like it because it’s a very stiff shell. The standard shell is good but pretty easy to flex in my opinion. The edge shell you just can’t bend.

D’Arcy Echols is the brains behind the standard fill. He explained to me that he has noted the Edge shell/Edge fill to result in rifles that are “finicky”. He said he has seen more reliable performance shooting wise with the edge shell/standard fill than the edge shell/edge fill. Anecdotally I noted I have a 30-06 with edge/edge combination that is finicky—what it likes it will shoot lights out, what it doesn’t like it will not shoot no matter what you do.

I can’t speak to the recoil reduction compared to the Legend. I’ve not shot a Legend, though I’ve handled a bunch of friends’ Legends. I can say the Shrike definitely handles recoil nicely and the geometry of the stock makes handling the rifle through the recoil pulse very well. My buddies with Legends say the same. Echols really has some great stocks and I wouldn’t hesitate to get either. It did take me quite a while to get the Shrike.