Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Dutch

Remember it was the NRA that tried to de-rail Heller every way they could.

I don't remember any such thing. Do you have any specifics?

This is the core of the problem. People believe what the NRA says, instead of looking at what it does. Do not ever forget that Heller occurred in spite of the NRA, not because of the NRA. The article below describes SOME of the NRA actions to derail Heller. They also made some last ditch efforts to use their influence in the legislation to make the trial moot and get it dismissed that way. Why? Because Heller killed the golden goose.

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/03/dick-heller-second-amendment-hero-abolish-gun-regulation/

The case still faced other hurdles. Early on, lawyers for the NRA — fearing pro-gun forces lacked enough votes to convince a Supreme Court majority that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to bear arms — tried to talk Levy out of pursuing the case. They then attempted to dissuade him from using as his lead lawyer an untested sole practitioner, Alan Gura. Doubting Heller’s prospects, the NRA filed a competing suit, Seegars v. Ashcroft, helmed by a leading Second Amendment advocate, Stephen Halbrook.

The NRA’s concerns were strategic, but Levy says now that something else was going on. “I think the real concern was that three lawyers from outside the NRA started stepping on some toes, and the NRA wasn’t appreciative,” he says.

Gimme a break! The NRA didn't think Heller should be pursued because their legal advisors thought they would lose the case. this is not "derailing." It's common sense, based on the best advice they had at the time, even if that turned out to be misguided. There is no malevolence here.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.