Many moons ago I had occasion to purchase a couple of boxes each of Dynamit Nobel BB and CB caps. They have seen little use although a few squirrel and armadillos have met their end with this ammo. I have talked a bit about my use of CCI CB Shorts in my battle with pigs, but one of the things that puzzled me was the report of the "Caps" was louder than the shorts.

Having grown weary of life in prison, along with the rest of America, I went out to the backyard range with the Chrono and a small supply of ammo just to find out what these little things actually do. I was shooting on the 20 yard line with a bag rest. The numbers surprised me and made me smile a bit too. CCI advertises 710 fps for their CB ammo by the way.

CCI CB Shorts - 10 shots
Hi - 907
Lo -798
Avg - 845
Group - .47"

Dynamit Nobel CB Caps - 6 shots
Hi - 1016
Lo - 894
Avg - 952
Group - .57"

Dynamit Nobel BB Caps - 5 shots
Hi - 924
Lo - 897
Avg - 908
Group - 1"

FYI, the CB caps bullets mic .222" in diameter while the BB caps mic at .220". I'm surprised they shoot as well as they do. Don't be mislead by the "6mm" on the can, it is a measure of the case length, not caliber.

Many folks are not conversant with the terminology of "caps", so I'll toss a picture of them. CB caps are on the left, BB's on the right. I ASSUME most know what a short looks like. The ammo is still available from a number of sources but today's prices are absurd. I paid around $6/box of 150 back around 1985. Today's prices run around $60-70 for the same box, or 40-48 cents per round. Curiously enough, I have an ancient but very capable Zimmerstutzen rifle of .177 caliber and ammo for that is still reasonable at about $30/100.

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain