Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by kroo88

Only had a small wreck loading earlier. Last calf cleared a four foot panel and went about a mile north. Ended up pushing him into a dam before I could get a rope over his head.

I'm sure a few choice words were involved with that chitshow!

Fricken calves that age are beyond retarded when they freak out and lose momma.

Sam;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope the day was a good one for you and this finds you and yours well.

Since my rancher buddy sold his herd as mentioned, I'll be doing my cowboying vicariously through you and in my memories from here on in.

The story kroo88 related reminded me of a time we were moving the herd from one range block to another and our mutual friend had bought two cows from some big ranch up in the Chilcotin Cariboo country.

These two bloody Herefords were wild as elk Sam and did not respect either horse, rider nor stern non-church sorta language.....

We'd lost count of the number of times they'd quit the herd, bolted back up the mountain and we'd of course had to go root them out of some pucker thorn brush invested canyon.

Anyway rancher buddy had to remount finally, he's about done with the two Cariboo cows as they've duly found his last nerve and are standing steadfastly upon it!

We were just pushing the herd across a last road when the two new Herefords headed down the blacktop, and one wheeled and tore clear through the fence, knocking at least 50 yards of the two top wires off in the process.

It was Sam, about the angriest I've seen my rancher buddy in the nearly 30 years I've known him. He was quiet for a bit Sam, contemplative truly and when I asked if he was alright he turned to me and asked, "You've got a rifle in your pickup like always Dwayne?"

When I replied words to the effect that since the sun had come up in the east indeed Dwayne was packing heat - albeit in the pickup at that time - he muttered, "I'm just working out in my mind if I'm gonna write Arnie - our buddy who owned the cows - a cheque and go shoot that bitch...." laugh

By the time we got to my pickup, he'd cooled somewhat so instead of the 94, I dragged out a framing hammer and we fixed fence after the horses were unsaddled.

Thanks for reading my meandering memories Sam, all the best to you and please do keep sharing your ranch days and scenes with us.

I for one more than appreciate it Sam - it fills a need way down deep in this old farm kids heart somehow, you know?

Do stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"