Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
What kind is it?

Black Rat Snake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantherophis_obsoletus

That's tiny compared to the specimen that used to inhabit the pile of rotting fenceposts out back. I got a stick under that one and lifted him up to shoulder height and he had 2 feet on the ground on either side. I'm going to say he was an 11 footer. He was also as big around as my arm. I haven't seen Mister Big for a while, but there are two of his offspring that hang out around the place. One is a bit smaller than this one. I like them because they keep the rodents down to a minimum.

They're about as docile as you'll find in any snake. I once deliberately tried to provoke Mister Big and it took a good deal of prodding before he went after me. They act like they're cobras, but they strike with their mouths closed. This one? After I took the picture I twiddled his tail. All he did was slide a bit further up the wall. He's still peeking out from the eaves. I think he's waiting for another sparrow to come back to roost.

An 11' black snake... really?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.