Originally Posted by jimmyp
So for the 55's, M193 they sure are hell on jackrabbits out to 100 yards from a 20 inch gun, my personal experience is that I have not seen a single rabbit where the bullet penciled through. Does anyone know if the M193 was more barrier blind than the heavier match bullets?

A jackrabbit is small enough that the temporary stretch cavity is larger than it is. Of course high velocity pops them.

First, rifle rounds produce rifle wounds. However, having put my hands inside of wounds created by M193 and the ilk, M193 is not impressive compared to other projectiles. There’s as much nonsense and myth around 20”/55gr as there is for 7.62x39mm. If ether hits bone, wounds can be graphic. But just as often they are mostly through and through without anything dramatic.

M193 in this day and age is a garbage projectile for use against humans. Yes it will kill them, however there are dozens of better, more reliable, more consistent performers. As far as being barrier blind, both M193 and MK262 suffer greatly through barriers. I.E..- they both suck.

As for barrel length- fighting has a lot more than just “velocity and bullet”. Some believe that fighting and tactics haven’t achanged in 50 years.... Size and weight matter. But, people also seem to think that the military is still stuck in 2004 where it was between M855 and MK262. In that case, yes MK262 was better. But it isn’t 2004 anymore. The currently issued standard round for the US military is extremely effective in tissue. It has precision issues (like M193 and M855), but Terminal performance even out of 10.5” guns is excellent. You can’t tell the difference inside of 300m between A1 from a 10.5” and A1 from a 20” barrel.

Out of the 12.5” barrels on my carbines, full fragmentation of M855A1 is achieved past past 500m at SAC. What would carrying a musket do for me?