Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Formidilosus, once again, thank your for your contribution.

In other words, it's like taking a Nosler E-tip or a TTSX, and replacing the plastic insert with a hardened steel penetration twice the size of the one in the original M855.

That's quite a combination. Hopefully they can get the accuracy issues under control:

The M855A1 projectile is actually kind of unique. It is a three part projectile- a copper jacket, a solid copper plug in the base, and a steel arrowhead tip. Because of the combination of those three parts, it produces rapid and immediate fragmentation of the jacket, the tip separates and causes a secondary wound path, and the solid copper plug penetrates an average of 16-20 inches depending on barrier.

Unfortunately they will do nothing about the precision. The allowable MR for ball ammo has been abysmal since M193. There is a barrel/upper combo that shoots it significantly better, but the broad US military will not adapt anything new for M4’s.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
….Out of the 12.5” barrels on my carbines, full fragmentation of M855A1 is achieved past past 500m at SAC. What would carrying a musket do for me?

Keep rockin' that musketoon then...….grin

The Marines using the M27 with suppressor.... whoof. That’s a musket.

Originally Posted by jimmyp
another thought, not sure I as a peon can buy A1. What I wonder is the next best thing?

M855A1 is not commercially available. Anything out there is take home from someone’s pocket.

As for the next best thing, I wouldn’t say A1 is the best thing. It is certainly effective, but from a soft tissue perspective there are better. Probably the best general purpose 0-600m, barrier blind 5.56mm bullet is the 75gr Gold Dot. Near match accurate (sub 2moa for 30 round groups), truly barrier blind, decent BC, and has some level of upset below 1,600fps impact. From a soft tissue and light barrier perspective, the 77gr TMK was designed to maximize performance in that realm amd is extremely capable at it.