WyoCowboy;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend has been treating you well thus far and this finds you well.

Thanks for starting the interesting thread and of course as always thanks to the respondents, without which it wouldn't be what it is.

On my first date with my now wife, we were leaving a church supper and headed to a local fellows place for coffee and board games as I recall. She knew my older brother, not me really, but saw that I was alone in my pickup and said she'd ride with me. I used to kid her that she liked my nearly new '80 Toyota 4x4 as they were a new thing then and it got lots of looks and comments.

Anyways we visited a fair bit and when I called and asked her the next day if we could do coffee sometime, she said sure, so I headed the 45 minutes into the small town where she lived. Funny thing was we ended up having coffee with her folks and visiting with them. She said later that they were impressed that I was comfortable enough to chat the night away with all of them, but honestly my future parents in law and I got along great until they passed.

Oh, the next date we went hill climbing and mudding in the 4x4, but it was the one after that which sealed it with me.

We went on the time honored Saskatchewan weekend pastime of shooting gophers. As we sat in an abandoned farm yard plinking gophers, one popped up on her side of the truck and began to enthusiastically crunch on the bones of it's recently deceased cousin or brother.

She commented, "Huh, I didn't know they'd do that" and when I replied something like, "Yah real life isn't like Walt Disney shows it", she shrugged and muttered, "Well we can't have that sort of behavior spreading then" and shot the cannibal gopher dead center!

I knew then and there if she wasn't "the one" then I'd never find her and not too, too long after I asked if she'd be interested in trying to make a go of it with a guy who had no clue what he wanted to be in life but wasn't scared of work.

That was 38 years ago this fall that we were married, but the gopher shoot was likely about now that spring. I've been blessed far beyond anything I've ever done to deserve it and honestly can thank her for any sort of material success we've been able to achieve. It's been a grand ride all in all.

Thanks for letting me relive some of those times when I typed them sir, all the best to you all. Stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"