I’ve a 2018 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 and 8 speed trans. I love the powertrain in the truck, but there’s a few potential issues to be aware of. I work in the mining industry so the truck sees a LOT of off-road use. Beware if you get much mud buildup on the trans/transfer case that the electronic shift actuators don’t like to work. Just finished a job where the last four days were rain/snow coupled with 300t haul trucks churning it all up into 8” of mud on the roadways. On the last day my truck was throwing the service transmission message at me every time I drove it. After the job I put on my rain gear at the local car wash and got under the thing to power wash the 500# of mud I had accumulated on the undercarriage. After the trans/transfer case were cleaned, no more problems. We have a few of these and they all exhibit the same problem if they get much buildup. It’s an easy fix, but can be a messy one too.

Mine gets around 20 mpg and has lots of power. Just turned over 50k miles with no issues other than the above. I wonder why folks go for the eco-diesel version. The gasser, in the half-ton performs exceptionally well.

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 05/24/20.

Yours in Liberty,

BL