Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by moosemike
I've been kicking some tires and thinking about trading my 2011 Silverado in. I really like the Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I'm running into some that have a 6 speed automatic and some have an 8 speed. Is either tranny more dependable?
...................I bought new a 2015 Ram Hemi Express; std cab; 6'4" bed; 8 spd trans; 3:21 rear diff; 2WD.........Love the thing......Just did a round tripper to from Calif to Texas and back. At 90 mph, engine rpm at 2,000.

My suggestion is to go with the 8 speed trans because imo you will have more gearing versatility, better acceleration and less engine RPM at fwy speeds. 85K miles on my truck. No trans issues.

Now if ya go with a Ram Hemi, here is a list of things I have added to mine for a 'lil more gitty up and slightly better gas mileage as well...

Cold air intake. Adds about 15 to 20 hp, more torque and a lower throatier sound when accelerating. Mine is an AFE.
18" Magnaflow straight thru muffler. Dump the OE muffler. Too restrictive. Beautiful sound. Much better than OE muffler.

Stage 3 Performance chip from www.chipyourcar.com. Plugs directly into the OBD2 port below the steering wheel under the dash. 60 seconds to install and forget about it. 45 to 60 hp gain. IT WORKS!

A complete conversion over to Amsoil Signature Series engine oil at 38,000 miles (15K change intervals), Amsoil trans fluid and Amsoil rear diff fluid at 55K miles. Doing that made the engine quieter, the trans shifts more crisp and the truck just a wee bit faster and smoother running still.

From the OE 395 HP; 410 ft lbs torque,,,,to a verified dyno test of 465 HP; 460 ft lbs torque.

It does love to go!.......

So you now get 30mpg with the magic chip.
..................Cute!....Wish I could get 30 mpg. .Did I type that I get 30 mpg in my post? "Slightly better" is what I typed...Magic chip? No! It is a performance chip that sends its own signals to the ECM thereby modifying the original factory ECM performance settings. I can also unplug the chip at any time, which will within a few minutes automatically reset the ECM back to factory and re-install it after I leave the dealer should I have any warranty work done.......Sneaky!!.......For performance along with added HP, it DOES work as advertised on their site. 3 to 5 mpg increase? Nope!....But I did not install it for any potential increased gas mileage.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger