Originally Posted by bobmn
"just buy a cycle" Cannot use a gas powered cycle on bike trails. Motorcycle needs plates, Off Highway sticker, etc.This is the definition of e-bike:
Electric-assisted bicycle. "Electric-assisted bicycle" means a bicycle with two or three wheels that:
(1) has a saddle and fully operable pedals for human propulsion;

(2) meets the requirements:

(i) of federal motor vehicle safety standards for a motor-driven cycle in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, sections 571.1 et seq.; or

(ii) for bicycles under Code of Federal Regulations, title 16, part 1512, or successor requirements; and

(3) has an electric motor that (i) has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts, (ii) is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, (iii) is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, and (iv) disengages or ceases to function when the vehicle's brakes are applied."
State laws vary but generally an e-bike is treated like a bicycle. However, trails administered by the DNR can prohibit e-bikes. The National Parks prohibited e-bikes but just recently changed that ruling.

I can see where an E-bike,even a heavier one would have some appeal if you live where you could legally use one ,but couldn't use a gas powered cycle. My major concern however is that as E-bikes get heavier and more powerful,they will be restricted right alongside gas powered cycles. I just don't think the legislation has caught up yet.