Giraffe is quite exciting if you do a proper hunt on foot.

I was able to hunt one in Zimbabwe, just before some of the ranches were taken over by the squatters.

I wanted a nice old stink bull as you would say. Old with a a dark to black spots. Well we could find them, however it was another thing getting up on them for a decent shot. We had a limited window to take a nice trophy, as i wanted the skin for a rug. which later became rifle cases and purses. Giraffe take a considerable time to skin and process in the field so i had to have my giraffe down before 8 AM,

Proper rifle and bullet are in order 338 WM - 375 H&H with good bullets.

The first one was a cull bull that the PH had been wanting to shoot for over a year, it had a snare on it one leg, and we were heading back to camp for lunch and it was near the road and one shot under the chin put it down. the 5 hour skinning and butchering job was all afternoon with all the camp staff.

After most of my hunt was fading away, i had been passing on a lone bull every day. This bull was not the herd bull and was usually in the same area daily as we drove out of camp. So my standards changed and we decided to go after him. Well he moved to a place where we could not cut a trail for recovery. and do not shoot something you cannot recover, and giraffe is not something you want to back pack out.

Second to last day he was were access was available, and when we started to stalk him he moved into an open field, and what a stroke of luck to be able to shoot him and just made my 8 AM cut off time. It took 6 hours to get him out of the field, and we had 8 camp staff working on him.

On my last day i had the opportunity to take another one for a tribal wedding, however we did not find what they wanted close to the road.

Would i take one again, maybe. (color pattern as there are different varieties available) I am now trying to limit repeat on animals taken over the years.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959