Originally Posted by castnblast
If you do decide to hunt giraffe first study a good publication on shot placement like Robertson's "The perfect Shot" I have a degree in Animal science, have studied Veterinary anatomy, and come from several generations of butchers. I had to adjust my thinking. Giraffe are not built like other critters and the location of the heart and lungs is much higher in the chest and much farther forward than I would have otherwise thought. You also need a substantial cartridge if not precisely placing a bullet in the brain or neck. My 9.3x62 was a sensible choice, as was the .450-400 3" that I carried at first. Think cartridges like .375, .338, or perhaps .300 mag with very good expanding bullets or solids. Their skin is the thickest of any animal I've ever seen. They weigh more than a cape buffalo.

My two favorite cartridges! What is your .450-400 in?

I never really had a desire to bag a giraffe. I figure out how to mount the trophy that would suit my home. Watching them feed kinda disarms any enthusiasm I have for the chase. Not that I'm against taking one, (and would for rations) but not on my bucket list.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo