Originally Posted by copperking81
I know police are unionized which makes their inaction even more puzzling to me. You'd think there's a threshold that could be reached and at which point, they'd take action to protect their interests. Maybe not.

If their recent treatment didn't breach any threshold, I don't know what would.

We unionized to keep wages and benefits that our city wants to take away. I'm sure many police unions formed for the same reason. Our Union offered little help if you violated any departmental rules and we needed someone to "watch our 6". Once you become a public figure like a police officer you are open to public scrutiny. To make a public stand on an issue means you can now be scrutinized in your off duty time. I never wanted that. I did my job for 32 years and kept my opinions to my self so I did not have folks showing up at my house when I was either off duty or on duty. Our 1st Amendment rights might be the same as yours but it puts our job at risk if we publicly state it and it does not match the public statements of the entity you work for.

Remain silent and be thought a fool, speak and remove all doubt. I really don't think you are going to find many officers who want to get into being a public figure on their off duty time,

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.