Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

A friend of mine told me that 14 Milwaukee police officers quit today with more coming tomorrow.

Who is going to work in these sub human ghettos? You couldn’t pay me enough to be an LEO that has to watch people throw bricks at me. Actually, I wouldn’t be an LEO anywhere where I wasn’t 110% convinced that the local politicians had my back. There are far too many places that don’t.

Wife mentioned this am that another 15 or so MPLS officers decided to switch careers... IMHO, this is just the beginning... The dumphuqs in charge (Mayor/Council members etc) are gonna realize real soon how stupid their decisions to NOT back the cops in preventing crimes..

The number of Minneapolis officers announcing retirement this month is on par with the norm. 7 out of 800+? Is not a large number. It also does not mean they are retiring at the end of this month as there are incentives for announcing retirement at an early date. The end of June is often the most beneficial time to retire so it sees a few more retires than the other months.

What would be more telling is the ages and years of service of those announcing. There is a 5% penalty in the pension paid out for every year less than 55 one is. So, a person retiring at 50 years of age (the youngest one could collect) would undergo a 25% penalty in their pension. That is a pretty steep reduction and one needs to be in a pretty good financial position to live off this.

The 15 officers claiming to leave for other careers or other jurisdictions is about double the norm but again, not a telling indicator on its own. This compared to officers transferring in to the department would be more meaningful as transfers into the department typically match or very slightly exceed those leaving for other places.

It would also be interesting to note how many of those leaving the department are doing so to take a higher position someplace else. It is not uncommon for lower level command staff to leave for a higher position elsewhere to advance their careers. This is often kept pretty close to the vest as it can create problems at the department.

A single month of these numbers isn't too concerning on its own. What will be telling is if this continues or increases and, more importantly, if there are enough replacements to equalize the loss. There hasn't been enough time to set even a short term trend. A couple more months and then one can start making predictions.