He’s actually now a part of a very small and elite group of anglers who have released WR fish. Lots of guys can kill near record, and even record fish, but few release them, especially if the fish is likely to be a record. Doing a lot of WR attempt observations for the IGFA, I’ve personally seen at least 50 fish that exceeded WR weight released, and sadly quite a lot of almost WR fish killed. That’s why the IGFA has release categories now which include measurements along with weight.

If you have a pic with measurements showing (like the fish next to a measuring tape) send it in to the IGFA and they will likely send you a certificate for him if that’s a species they keep records for (I’m not familiar with the fish species). Also make sure to contact your local Fish & Game Dept, newspaper, and local fishing magazines to tell them the story, which they may put into print.

I can honestly tell you, after a lifetime of catching saltwater fish, likely tens of thousands of them, my best trophies are the articles my Mom & Dad cut out of the local paper after they called in and told them about the catch I made as a kid.

Whatever you choose to do, please congratulate him from me for the awesome catch (and release).