I'm new at beekeeping. Ordered a nuc in Jan for delivery the end of April/beginning of May. Supplier kept putting off delivery due to weather - it had been cool in NW PA. Since I wasn't getting a warm and fuzzy about this guy I found another apiary and bought a nuc from him. Got it home and installed in 10 frame hive body just over two weeks ago. Did 2 inspections and it seems to be doing well. Goes thru a quart of syrup about every other day.

Anyway the day after I installed the nuc the first guy calls and says my original nuc is ready. I have another hive so no problem. Weather really warmed up that week. I talked to the guy about picking up the nuc - I was concerned with the 1.5hr drive and the heat. He said he'd close them up the night before and keep them in the shade the next day when I could get them after work. It was 95F, probably hottest day of the year so far. Told me to keep them in my truck cab in the AC, set the nuc box on the new hive for an hour to settle them, then open the plug and let them out. Once it was dark they'd be back in the nuc box and I should tranfer them early the next morning. I did first few steps but when I pulled the plug a lot of dead bees fell out. When I peeked in the nuc there were dead bees all over so I decided to transfer them then. That went OK and I'm pretty sure I saw the queen. The dead bee pile was about the size of a small cantelope, probably half of them. I've really only looked at them once in 2 weeks and seems to be struggling, not many bees. Plan to do an inspection this weekend and will see if I can get a local beekeeper to help.

My question is what did I do wrong with the 2nd nuc? Transporting in AC? Should've waited for a cooler day? Apiary shouldn't have kept them in the nuc box closed up with limited ventilation in one of the hottest days of the year so far?

I don't want to repeat the mistake.

Thanks.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear