Originally Posted by Oldman3
Steve, thanks for the suggestions. Because of the virus, the local bee clubs have not been meeting, however they are suppose/trying to start having meetings again around the middle of July.

I've read about MAQS and the temp thing is what has got me worried about it. This time of the year, 90+ temps are common. We've already had some upper 90 degree days. Since I dont have any honey supers on the hives, I was leaning toward Apiguard or Apivar. Have you used either of these? Hopefully by the time fall arrives, I'll be able to use the oxalic over the winter. I know there is a couple of ways to use it, and the fogger sounds very easy..... but costly.

Valsdad, hate to hear about you losing the hive. My first try at bees was a failure, also.

Oldman,

Not my first try, had a hive 25 years or so ago. Biggest problem I had with that one was a bear getting in it!

Moving something over 12 times since then until we got this place was not conducive to beekeeping. Still just a novice as back then I had never heard of colony collapse and a few other things. Our big town, 2 hrs away has a club, I'll be joining before ordering season so I can get info for next year. A bit different than down your way, up here the problem is keeping the girls warm enough in winter.

The Corona and it's impact on the USPS coupled with us getting a late start at finding bees turned into the worst case scenario I believe.

We'll try again, as that's what we do, right?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?