The Hunt for Red October is one of my all time favorite movies. I've seen it multiple times, but have never taken the time to read the book. Like Hatari, I've wondered what the cook has to do with the whole story. He just comes out of nowhere towards the end of the movie for a dramatic gun fight with Ryan. I suspect he ties in the saboteur sub-plot. I guess reading the book would answer that question.

However, the one big head scratcher for me is the whole plot premise. The Russians spend lots of time and money to develop the super secret and stealthy Red October, only to be found out on its maiden voyage by a hot shot audio technician on the Dallas completely independent any of Ramius' plans. Bad luck for the Russians? Good luck for the Americans? Clancy's commentary on the sophistry of war? Maybe the book address this too.

As for Mr. Baldwin as Jack Ryan; I really hate, but gotta say that IMHO he's the best most believable of the four (by my count, Baldwin, Ford, Pine, and Krasinski) actors that have played him.