Originally Posted by JefeMojado
I know the Python has a following.....Im just not sure why? They have never had a particularly good double action like the pre-lock S&Ws. I crossed over from 1911 style pistols for competition back in 1993 and went to revolver shooting, ICORE mainly but used it in all other disciplines too. In over 25 years of serious revolver competition, Ive never once seen a Python, or any colt revolver for that matter used in competition.
Im not a handgun hunter other than jack rabbits etc, so maybe that is the niche the Python inhabits, I just don't know? I do know that as a competition or carry revolver, they don't make a pimple on the azz of a nice S&W revolver.

About the time you started shooting revolvers, most renowned gunsmiths and armorers of traditional DA Colt revolvers were either dead or retired.
Charles Askins won a shidt ton of medals with Colt DA revolvers and probably shot a few comancheros with them too, despite preferring a 1911 after WWII. I think the Border Patrol of his era primarily used Colt revolvers.
True, you will see Smiths used more. Cheaper, easier to tune along with a faster trigger return, unless we're talking MKIII or MKV actions, which Colt fans dont hold in as high regard.
Ever fire a TUNED mkv/King Cobra?

No matter. The Python fans killed them off too; I think its mostly cosmetics and some Boomer nostalgia that makes Pythons desireable.