Originally Posted by T_Inman

What do you consider a "light" trigger? My main hunting rifle has a 2lb trigger, and I am seriously thinking about getting it even lighter.

Secondly, Aussie's often hunt fallows like Americans hunt whitetails....it often isn't a "special" hunt for them.

Third....accidental discharge when the safety was clicked off.....nevermind.

With regard to fallow, it depends where you are - Straya's a big place - but in the states where fallow are found there's plenty of them about, and their numbers and range seem to be on the increase. Where I live there are certainly plenty of them within easy reach on both public and private land. No tags, no bag limit, and the season runs from the beginning of March until the end of October (all year round in some areas, though it is a bit hot Nov - Feb).

As for the rest of that bloke's post, I think "nevermind" is all the response necessary.

Back to the subject at hand, I think there'll be examples from any make of rifle that have failed. I'd back most unmodified military rifles as being reliable, mainly because they had to pass such extensive tests. Once you modify one though, all bets are off, as they also are with rifles that have been neglected, or due to age Even Mauser 98s will fail if not looked after, or inexpertly tinkered with - I have seen examples. I've also had a No 4 fail, by having the extractor spring let go. But yet I think these would be near the top of the heap for reliability.

I've had a pretty good run with sporters too though. The odd one where a screw has backed out, or a stock has cracked. A broken mainspring in a Marlin 1893 (after over 100 years, not a bad sort of run). Centrefire rifles are a pretty mature technology, and I think that if you don't futz with them, and keep them in good order (and put some nail varnish on the screws!) the ones that have stayed in production for a while are pretty sound.