Ruger M77 RSI, 18.5" barrel, bullet the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core at 2550 FPS over a max load of W760. (Long story on that load.) I've taken quite a few deer with that load from 30 feet to 250 yards. Only recovered one bullet and that was from the 250 yard deer. It retained roughly 65% of its original weight. FWIW, that's the only load that very finicky rifle will shoot with any kind of hunting accuracy and it took two years to find that load. Told you it was a long story.
Frankly, I see no need for a premium bullet for deer with the .308, especial with a short barrel. I have taken deer out as far as 426 paces with a different .308 that had a 20" barrel. I found that I like the 165 gr. bullet in the .308 over just about any other weight. It's a good compromise between weight and velocity.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE