If you order a barrel pre-profiled, it will come with the shank already turned. So, check the barrel manufacturers's websites for what they have listed for their dimensions and see if it suits your tastes... if you have the gunsmith turn the blank, you will end up with whatever he feels like turning most days and some smiths are better at setting up and turning shanks than others... best to just order a profiled barrel and avoid the issue and cost...

I've been using Timney triggers for quite a while and never had any complaints...

Since you have to have the barrel cut, threaded, chambered , and headspaced to your action, it doesn't really matter which recoil lug you use as it will be figured into the dimensions of the tenon when the barrel is threaded. Most of the time an aftermarket recoil lug is spec'd is because they tend to be more accurately machined and won't affect the barrel installation like a poorly machined factory lug might... Personally, I prefer a .250 recoil lug on a magnum cartridge, but that is just me- it probably isn't necessary..

A Remington LA bottom metal should work more than fine for a 338, but if you need a bit of extra length for long bullets, you can always go to the 300 RUM bottom metal and mag box and still use factory parts or PTG metal...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.