Originally Posted by dave284
I'm not in the oil & gas field but they are one of our customers. Everyplace around here in my industry has people laid off. I am one of them. Since May I have been looking for a job that will actually pay the bills. Just online while the state was "shut down" and both online and by pounding the pavement since we have re-opened. This is the only line I have true work experience in that I can actually start in a job making more than some kid fresh out of school. I've been working "parts" since 1984. This is the first time I have been without a job for more than a few days. I know how to do plenty of other stuff but have never actually worked in those industries. I do have some money to get me through a year or so but I was hoping it would be there to help retire on. I'll be 55 in another 3 months. The extra $600.00 has been a blessing. Plenty of $10 - $12.00 dollar jobs around but at that rate, I lose my house.

I am considering opening my own business, just not sure exactly what it will be. I am thinking maybe a small dump truck and start hauling gravel, dirt, etc. Just haven't found one yet. I am also running a 220 line to my garage to start doing some sand/ bead blasting and considering maybe powder coating. I don't know of anyone else in this area doing it. Thinking maybe start with small things and if there is enough call for it I have another garage that I could run electric to and start doing larger items.

Not bitching or complaining, just more an opportunity to vent a little.

Any useful suggestions?
Don't discount a lawn care business for something that is inexpensive to get into. All you need is a lawn tractor or zero turn, weed eater and a trailer to haul it. Demand is high, at least around here. Lots of lazy fuggers that don't want to mow their own and old fuggers who can't. I know a guy here locally who gets more business than he can handle. Makes enough May- Oct to live off all year and just takes the winters off.