Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by dave284
I'm not in the oil & gas field but they are one of our customers. Everyplace around here in my industry has people laid off. I am one of them. Since May I have been looking for a job that will actually pay the bills. Just online while the state was "shut down" and both online and by pounding the pavement since we have re-opened. This is the only line I have true work experience in that I can actually start in a job making more than some kid fresh out of school. I've been working "parts" since 1984. This is the first time I have been without a job for more than a few days. I know how to do plenty of other stuff but have never actually worked in those industries. I do have some money to get me through a year or so but I was hoping it would be there to help retire on. I'll be 55 in another 3 months. The extra $600.00 has been a blessing. Plenty of $10 - $12.00 dollar jobs around but at that rate, I lose my house.

I am considering opening my own business, just not sure exactly what it will be. I am thinking maybe a small dump truck and start hauling gravel, dirt, etc. Just haven't found one yet. I am also running a 220 line to my garage to start doing some sand/ bead blasting and considering maybe powder coating. I don't know of anyone else in this area doing it. Thinking maybe start with small things and if there is enough call for it I have another garage that I could run electric to and start doing larger items.

Not bitching or complaining, just more an opportunity to vent a little.

Any useful suggestions?
Don't discount a lawn care business for something that is inexpensive to get into. All you need is a lawn tractor or zero turn, weed eater and a trailer to haul it. Demand is high, at least around here. Lots of lazy fuggers that don't want to mow their own and old fuggers who can't. I know a guy here locally who gets more business than he can handle. Makes enough May- Oct to live off all year and just takes the winters off.

Good advice, Blackheart. It’s honest work and with good write offs come tax time.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.