Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by cooper57m
My goal this hunting season is shaping up to be trying to shoot the big black bear that has been destroying our bird feeders and getting into our garbage this spring & summer. This is the first year out of the 35 yrs I've lived here that we've had such a problem and I don't like having to look over my shoulder every time I go outside. This won't be so much of a hunt as a hit job. I just want to get rid of this thing. It walks around like it owns this place and is totally unafraid of humans. One thing I know, if it sees me it won't run away from me. Rather than yell at it, I'll let my 35 Whelen do the talking for me.

A Whelan? I think I have heard of those before!

You should, you know I first heard about the Whelen from you when we were 14 and you regaled us with stories of your family in Alaska . I have plenty of rifles in acceptable calibers to shoot this thing but it's another excuse to use the M700 Whelen. Besides, this is a big boar bear and I want a nice big hole on both sides of this thing. I have some 225 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, that I bought for a past Moose hunt, that'll accomplish that feat.