I've hunted moose in Newfoundland several times and have always taken the ferry. I book the ferry several months in advance to reserve my place for the truck & trailer and to hold my stateroom. It works out well to take the 11pm ferry and to get a good night's sleep in a private room. All the rooms have a small bathroom in the corner which has a shower too. There is a bar onboard for a nightcap and breakfast is available in the morning. If you're pressed for time in the morning you can grab a coffee and a roll on the way to your truck. During moose hunting season the ferry will be PACKED so plan in advance.

Most outfitters are within easy driving distance from the ferry terminal. If you want to get to your outfitter early in the day then take the ferry a day earlier and stay overnight in Newfoundland. Deer Lake would be a good overnight destination and will greatly shorten you drive in the morning.

Keep the ferry terminal's phone number handy because if you get a moose early in the week and decide to travel home a day or two earlier you can change your reservation and beat the crowd trying to get off the island. However, if you have the extra time you may want to travel up the west coast and stop in at the seaside communities for some site-seeing and local dining. Newfoundland is a wonderful place to visit.