Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I believe some gun writer has published stuff about not only polishing expander balls, but testing them for straightness on the shaft.

Like vapodog, I tried the carbine expander balls and had little luck--but also have had great luck with very slight amount of Imperial Sizing Die Wax inside case necks. I apply it by smearing a tiny amount of wax on a brush, then running the brush into the necks.

I thought about polishing them but was afraid of taking off too much metal and causing problems. And, I didn't really know the best way to do it or if taking too much would cause some problem. Sometimes I'm so anal I screw myself out of making improvements.

I hate that raspy feel on the up stroke of sizing pulling that expander ball through the resized neck. I probably won't go the Lee Colet Die route because I've got too much invested in conventional dies.

I need to get some Imperial Sizing Wax. I've been hearing about it for years but believe it or not I'm only on my 3rd tube of RCBS Lube after 40 years. I use it sparingly. Sometimes I'm just too lazy to change my ways too. I have for years used a Que Tip and put just a small amount of the regular RCBS Case Lube inside the neck, which helps smooth things out, but I always wondered if it was too thick for that.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/13/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!