JGRaider: I bought my 1996 Dodge 4x4, extended cab, 5 speed manual, Cummins diesel new and have "babied" it (hard usage off road and a little towing but careful and timely maintenance!) and it has 140,000 miles on it - never a wrench taken to any part of it to date. Thank you Lord.
The prices of "new" 4x4 trucks these days makes me shudder!
I get 22 m.p.g. as I cruise down the highway at 66 m.p.h. (with a few folks honking at me and the Canadians giving me the finger on I-15 now and then).
I hope this wonderful truck (the first Dodge I have ever owned!) lasts me the rest of my natural born days.
You would be surprised at how many country folks ask me if I want to sell it when I am out and about.
Other that 2 (two!) bullet impacts in the hood (short Varmint Hunting friends) and a radio that went tits up it is all original and kinda like new.
My friend has a 1994 Dodge Cummins diesel 4x4 pickup that has 380,000 miles on it and has been "totaled" twice in one car accidents - his engine, has also, NEVER had a wrench to it. And he has a standing offer from an Alaska fisherman to buy the engine from him when the frame falls off around that engine (due any day now!).
Somehow or for some reason the newest Dodge diesel engines/trucks have fallen in disfavor in my corner of the world (SW Montana) and folks are going very often with the Dura-Max pickup trucks - if I get a chance I will ask around a bit on the newer Ram diesels reputations.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy