Originally Posted by turkish
I’ve also just started learning about this trend. I use a draw weight in the low 60s and I appreciate the need for a pass through for whitetails. Much of what they talk about make sense. I can understand that trends in archery components over the years have gravitated toward what is easiest to tune so that the customer is shooting good groups in his backyard. Hundreds more arrows are watched in that scenario than are shot at game.

The thing that I have NOT heard these guys mention, though, is the ability for whitetails to jump the string. That’s got to be a major drawback for this heavy arrow, heavy head idea.

Actually jumping the string concern may weigh more in favor for the heavy arrow & heavier cut on contact broad head than you may think. Why you may ask. First off what ever weight arrow & broad head you choose, perfect arrow flight is 1st and foremost. Your bow and arrow need to be tuned for perfect arrow flight.

Now with all things being equal the heavier arrow will absorb more energy from the bow thus yeild a quieter shot. Do not underestimate this.

Next the sharp single bevel broad head, with great structural integrity allows noteworthy advantages once impact occurs. Say the animal does maneuver to duck the arrow. Your point of impact does change unpredictably. All kinds of reactions can make shot placement unpredictable with any set-up the reacting target animal may duck or roll in more than one direction. So if & or when they do react to a shot. The Arrow with more weight & momentum will have a much higher chance of overcoming unintended bone impact If this did occur. Deflections are likely to be less again due to momentum. Depth of penetration will likely, really really likely be greater with the heavier total arrow weight, especially with more weight forward.

Ranch Ferry videos mentioned earlier highlight improved recovery due to better penetration with the heavier setups W a single bevel head or even a good double bevel 2 blade head.

BTW Ranch ferry hunts hogs a lot which allows a lot of shot opportunitys. And the fact that the Hogs are essentially a invasive species offers a season length that is year around. Id venture no whitetail hunters are allowed near the shot opportunities that the hog hunt on the ranch tends to allow. Oh yea no season or bag limits do tend to facilitate a fine test lab scenario that allows Troy to achieve a lot of experimentation in a relatively short period of time on live targets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsRlJkFDyYQ

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19