Originally Posted by FishinHank
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Originally Posted by shaman
I like that thimble/bowline idea. I'll get a couple for the pack.

Thanks y'all.

The trick I've found out is to be the one tying the knots. None of my hunting partners are knot savvy.

I'm also been the family granny knot untier for 50 years. Everyone takes an unassailable knot and just throws it at me. If I'm not around, they cut it out.

If you can't tie a knot, tie alot!

If you don’t know any, tie many!

While you're at it join the girl scouts! Haha

If its 3 strand line you can splice an eye in it pretty easily. I've done a lot and if I can do it anyone can. All you would need is an eye spliced on both end and you would never have to undo another knot ever again. Run one end around the critter and through the other eye. Hook the eye through your winch hook and there is no way it could ever get cinched up. In a pinch I would go with bowlines.

The hardest part in splicing an eye in a line is getting it started correctly. After that its over/under while rotating around. Easy peasy.

We used to do a lot of work with 5/8 twisted Manila. I was the guy that got to braid the loops into the tails or simply back braid them to prevent fraying. Sometimes it was handy to braid the two ends together to form a continuous circle. Yes, it is pretty easy.

These days I prefer to work with double braid nylon. (Yacht line)

I have purchased a fid in various sizes to use to feed the rope back inside the braid. I use this technique to attach bull snaps to horse leads, etc, etc.

A local rigging supply store sells the line in various sizes and the fid to match each.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.