Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
What would be a good standard load, not +P for plinking and self defense?

Jacketed or cast?

3" J frame.

For one load for both uses, I would suggest a 148 grain Double Ended Coated Lead Wadcutter under 3.3 grains of Titegroup. This load in my M-36 J frame 2" barrel gets me 754 FPS and 187 Ft. Lbs. energy. Recoil is mild. With your 3" barrel you will get a little more velocity. For self defense, you really may want to up that a little unless over penetration is a concern. Several companies manufacture these bullets, such as Missouri Bullet Company. ACME may also have them, not sure. I know that Bayou does not.

I know you are asking for one bullet/load for both uses, but for defensive purposes, not +P, I would use a 130 grain HST jacketed hollow point wadcutter under 3.6 grains Titegroup. The hollow point cavity is huge. Midway currently has them as blems. I don't know of any other source. They are made by or for Federal for their HST ammo. In my 2" barrel, I get 803 FPS and 186 Ft. Lbs. energy. However, that bad boy usually expands to about .65 - .70 caliber and with 10 - 12 inch penetration, also with mild recoil. They are quite accurate out to 7 yards. That is as far as I have tried them, however I have heard that they are reasonably accurate out to 50 feet. This limitation is due to the huge hollow point cavity. That is what I now carry in my snubbies.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."