Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
What would be a good standard load, not +P for plinking and self defense?

Jacketed or cast?

3" J frame.

A post by Mackay Sagebrush from the thread "Best snub nose round 38SPL +P". Note the last sentence address your standard load requirement. There are a lot of good general purpose pistoleros at the fire but when it comes to self defense, when Mackay talks I listen.

Link to post If you click the link look at the very next post showing the accuracy attainable with a small J-frame.

"Full wadcutters for straight and consistent penetration on the initial load. The very majority of the most ballistically experienced gunmen I know do this for their initial load. After this use a reload that is easier to top off, such as the Speer Gold Dot short barrel load.

Wadcutters load attributes are excellent accuracy, low recoil, and deep penetration along with excellent tissue disruption compared to typical round nose designs, due to the sharp profile.

A friend and former FBI SAC has also specifically recommended the Lee 358-160-RF for it's penetration capabilities similar to wadcutters, yet being much easier to reload than a standard wadcutter.

Frankly, it has been my experience and observation that people tend to pick loads for the J frames that they are not able to shoot well at all instead of a load that they can shoot precisely. There is a reason that lesser recoiling, deep penetrating full wadcutters have long been recommended. They shoot to POA/POI, and the very vast majority of users can shoot them accurately, as opposed to +P loads."

Hits in the right place count more than sheer power. Hmmm, something like that might make a good sig line.... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!