Originally Posted by TwoTrax
I have a 2007 90 Etec. Works great, I prefer a 2 cycle. Less weight, better torque and no pain in the butt oil changes. The Etec runs, idles, starts and just overall is an outstanding performer. Rarely see a puff of smoke out of it.

Sorry to see this.

I've got the same motor except mine might be a 2006....can't remember. Mine had an issue with the fuel pump when it was brand new. It did not leave me in the river but got in "limp home mode" and turned on the low oil idiot light. Having plenty of oil in the tank, I shut it off a couple of times(having been in IT you just do that as a reflex) and it got right and I went home.....then I took it to the man who read the computer and found out what was wrong. I figured it was a computer problem but the computer was actually trying to tell something.

Anyway, that was covered under warranty and since then the motor has been perfect.......and when I say perfect I mean it. Starts instantly even on cold mornings no matter how long its been setting up, idles smooth as glass , and runs like a raped ape. What else can it do? Only thing you forgot to mention is you just have to put oil in the tank ever so often.....no gas mixing. I just do it or check it before every trip so I won't forget. It don't use much and it would be easy to forget......a tank would last me no telling how many trips.

I think they designed the perfect outboard that checked all the boxes.....power to weight, fuel economy, emissions, great performance, low maintenance, adapted to being stored etc. Problem was, OMC rushed the product to market too quickly and ruined the Evinrude name. I talked to a crabber way before I bought mine when I saw he had two FICHT versions. He said it was the greatest motor ever when it wasn't in the shop which was about half the time. Boat mechanic told me FICHT stood for "found in channel hailing tow". Hard to recover from stuff like that.

When Bomb took over, I figured if they could build airplane engines they could work the kinks out of what OMC started and build a good boat motor. They did but by then I guess the market was already moving away from them.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn