Last time a Chinee Fire Drill happened around here it was something like that, and funny as all get out.

I had gotten a moose and gave a leg bone to my next door neighbor for her dog. Mine got the other one - which I brought inside near dark. We have coastal brown bears...

She had given her dog the bone in her chain-link kennel. Along about midnight, there was a helluva racket over there. Year+ old cubs were trying to get at that bone, which had been left in the outdoor kennel when the dog came in. They were shaking the hell out of that chain link, trying to tear that fence down, the sow was moaning and bawling, raising hell trying to get her kids back in the woods, Cris was cutting loose with her air horn, her boyfriend was lighting up the area with camera flashes. The phone rang, and it was Cris: "I have bears trying to get in. Bring your gun!!!" OOOOOGGGAA! Flash Flash. OOOOGGAA! Hurry! OOOGGAAA!

I pulled some clothes on, grabbed my rifle, jumped in the truck (I wasn't going to run over there), and got there - all of 100 yards away, when 2 cars pulled in and 5 guys all with guns piled out.... She must have had all of us on speed dial!

The bears were gone by then.

2 days later I found the ground all torn up over my septic tank. I theorize those danged cubs could smell the moose blood I'd washed down the drain - or maybe they were just chiteating bears.

Last edited by las; 08/03/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.