Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
So, I’ve been shooting my Encore with 100gr of BH209 and a 245gr PowerBelt. Accuracy has been decent, as in I can keep all my shots on a paper plate from field positions out to 100 yards. I may see what the 295gr bullets do. In WA, any primer is legal now and you can have a closed breech. I’m using Federal 209A primers.

Some of the local BP shooters have been really helpful. They have me wanting to buy a traditional rifle, but I’m gonna stick with this and develop some practical experience.

Those Powerbelt cups aim the bullet better with lighter powder loads. I normally use 80-85gr of powder with my 295gr copper-clad HP Powerbelts.If you must shoot heavy powder loads, move to a sabot/bullet. A cheap place to start are T/C Cheap Shots and Hornady XTPs in 240gr. Once you get those dialed-in, then move-up to a meaner sabot/bullet.

Personally, I would kick your powder charge down to around 85gr. Then tweak it once you get good groups. I've never had any luck using 100+gr charges with a Powerbelt at 100 yards or more. I tried different ways to improve too. I would bore-butter the bottom of the Powerbelt cup. Then I would try using a fiber wad under the cup.

I like to reach out sometimes to 125-150 yards. But I couldn't depend on the Powerbelt, unless my charge was down around 80-85 grains. I don;t use any aiming sticks or sandbags when I shoot. We move around the Forest woods all the time. Sometimes I don't even have a tree to lean against. So I need an accurate bullet and lately it's been with 300gr XTPs and a Harvester ribbed sabot using Goex FFF powder.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 08/07/20.