Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Not really worried about over gases from a recoil standpoint. The gun's gonna have near zero kick anyway. Just trying to wrap my head around making sure the gun is efficient, good for follow up shots, reliable cycling, while keeping things as simple as possible. Probably the same thing everyone wants 😀

Jake,

None of us here are really worried about over gassed from a recoil perspective. Over gassing a gun is unnecessarily hard on the gun. No reason to wear parts out prematurely, especially if these tools are needed for (heaven forbid) urban combat missions. Additionally, it's not so much about felt recoil, as a smoooooth system, one with a minimal amount and violence of movement withing the system. This greatly aids in maintaining a steady muzzle and minimizing split times on follow up shots.

If you want to see what I mean, start with a standard A2 bird cage muzzle device. Go shoot some targets offhand for time.

Then replace it with one of these:

https://www.primaryarms.com/vg6-precision-epsilon-compensator-1-2x28-epsilon556

And see what happens to your times.

While you're at it, run the same experiment off the sand bags, and see what happens to your muzzle dance between shots.

However, keep in mind, that the AR gas system is a SYSTEM. Any change, such as changing the muzzle device can necessitate other changes. As an example, if you system if properly balaced with an A2 bird cage and a Springco Blue spring and H1 or H2 buffer, with the improved break it's likely you will be back to standard carbine buffer and spring.

Good stuff AS. That epsilon vg6 compensator does great things. The only guy that damned near shot as well and fast as I did in the last ar comp was using one. He uses that comp on all of his AR builds and highly recommends them. I've shot his ar's and they perform very well. The only reason mine are faster on target is because I use 20" tubes with rifle length gas systems. I also use captured spring systems like the armaspec stealth recoil system. Rifle length with a 20" tube shoots smooth and soft. Meaning fast on target. If I were using a 16 or 18" barrel, I'd definitely be using an epsilon vg6 and I'd be searching for a mid length gas system barrel vs the carbine length gas system. Also John Burns hits on some good points about reliability. A slightly over gassed rifle is more reliable, but overgassed means its harder on the rifle itself. There's a fine line between the 2. I've shot some factory guns that are way overgassed, like Ruger AR's. They do that so the rifle functions reliably. Some people don't even know their rifles are "over gassed"...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA