Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I'm not stoned. My sample is around 15 or so examples so maybe I haven't shot enough of them to find a good one. In my experience, those High Standard barrels on the Higgins are terribly ROUGH and hard to get to shoot (as are most of the cut rifled barrels I've messed with on the older non-Higgins FN Mausers).

In the 6 years I have owned the JCH .30-06 M50, short of a different barrel, a comprehensive list of poor accuracy/precision fixes has not changed how well it will group bullets. < 1% of the time, it will make a sub-MOA 3 shot group. > 99% it can be relied on to make 2 -3" group.

I bought the rifle for the FN action so, of course, I had to shoot the donor. It became a challenge because of the chrome lined bore - hidden silk purse, Internet, legend of JCH M50s all shooting one hole groups all day long as long as the shooter does their part. Thanks for kinda spoiling the hope I had of finding the hidden tunnel to the secret hand shake.

I've yet to give up hope so hope you don't. In fact,I hope you've found one that shoots great without a rebarrel! I did have a .270 that on a clean barrel with one fouling shot would shoot three into an inch or so for the next few shots (maybe 8-10), but then would foul and go to the standard 2-3" you describe. That is the best shooting Higgins I remember having. I gave it to my business partner's son when he was 11 or 12. He's now in his 20s and last I heard still loves it.

A new barrel installed by a talented gunsmith can go a long way on one that doesn't shoot. I also like M70-style safeties and Bansner or Brown sttocks or a nice wood stock, but that is personal choice. They make really great rifles. I will post some pictures when I have a chance.