Originally Posted by North61
With such a small number of .348 users I can see that sales are low. Once an ordinary hunter has 2 or 3 boxes they might be set for several years if not decades and so 348 components are no doubt a slow seller. I have 2 more boxes on the way and with my load dialed in (IMR 4451 and CCI 250 Primers at 2500fps and under 2MOA) probably now have a lifetime supply. My dealer had access to 5 boxes so I left 3 for other folks in the same boat.

There is something to be said for brand loyalty and staying as a comprehensive supplier to consumers but companies seem to look for bottom line only and no longer think that way. As a result they will change my behavior as well. Loyalty cuts two ways and when a company quietly discontinues an irreplacable product almost as if to screw you up on purpose they erode that relationship. It's the Quiet part that is most irritating about the process...why not a final production run and some advanced notice? What it might cost you short term would have a long term loyalty benefit. "Look here is a company that goes the extra mile for their consumer" one might think.... rather than what I and no doubt a few others are thinking now.

They did the same thing with the great 220 FP in 375 and a variety of Round Nose bullets that I favoured. No announcement just poof..gone and if you don't find out in time; unfindable.

North61, that is true, I've had my Browning M71 for about 15 years. First thing I did was buy 500 cases, 600 200 Hornady FPs and about 300 250 Barnes Originals so I had everything I needed and not risk components being discontinued. I also managed to find some 200 grain Barnes X bullets. I'll have to give 4451 and/or 414 a try. IMR4064 shoots well but if the others are more of a case filler.

I'm disappointed in how Hornady quietly discontinues bullets, especially their round noses. I have 154 RN's for my 280, but would've liked a few boxes of the 175 and the 250 for my 358 Win. And now the 348 staple, the FP. Seems like a better marketing strategy would be to produce a bunch of stock, announce that it will be discontinued at x-point in time. Sales for those items will spike for those who use them to stock up and have customers with the stock they need.