Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Guess I am puzzled. In ALL the Hornady rifle dies I have the spindle is threaded on the sizing die So what are you talking about?

I also like and use Redding dies, of all sorts. In fact probably have as many Reddings as any brand.

But due to my profession I try to use (and understand) all sorts of dies.

John, Back, sometime in the 80s, when Hornady stopped using Pacific dies & came out with their "New Dimension" line of dies the decapping rod was not threaded, but a friction only fit in an outside threaded tapered collar which squeezed the decapping rod. This worked for about the first 2 or 300 uses but over time the collar ran out of grip or the rod got polished too much from slippage. The dies became almost unusable no matter how much the collar was tightened. I've pitched 3 or 4 of these sizers & moved on to other manufacturer's dies. No such problems with Redding, or RCBS, or Forster, or CH, so there's never been a reason to consider Hornady dies ever again..

In all fairness Hornady's seating die seemed like a pretty slick idea & it appears that they have improved their sizing dies in the interim. Do they still use those junky clear red boxes with the ill-fitting lids that come off completely?

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy