Originally Posted by pete53
that is very horrible what happened to this hunter and we can`t change that,but what my father and uncles taught me as a young hunter has probably saved me a few times and that is never approach a animal from the front and never consider them dead always checked them from behind with a loaded ready weapon. i even had a spear made with a big nasty wide and long blade and a heavy steel shaft i have finished of a few deer and pigs off with this spear,this spear is so strong i can lift a bigger pig up too with spear stuck in pig,its a heavy spear but its deadly.be careful this fall with a wounded animal they can hurt or kill you easy. Pete53

Seems an extra round in one's rifle would be a lot easier to carry and as effective as that spear...

Have a friend who killed a WT with a spear, had a big write up about it.

Got in big trouble with the possum cops. There is no spear dear season in LA.

He got in trouble in Africa. Had a special spear made up with curare tip for elephants. PH had to finish off the victim. Got into a big Lacy Act prosecution, lost his hunting privileges for 3 yrs, cost him a bundle. Seem the PH got fined. Buds defense, he didn't kill the elephant with the spear, the PH actually killed him with his .470 double. The judge wasn't amused, hammered him anyway... If that's your defense, seems you in a heap of trouble...

DF