yukon254:
Top of the morning to you, I hope the weekend was a good one for you folks and this finds you well and at least a tad less smoky than we seem to be down here.

Thanks for passing on that story, it's always a tough thing when fellow hunters die doing what we love, but for sure those of us who chase in wild areas all face an element of uncertainty each and every outing.

It actually strikes me that many of us and I do include myself, wouldn't prefer it to be any other way, you know?

Nonetheless the chap was relatively young and that's always tough to read for me.

On the subject of cartridges and energy, we here in BC need a minimum 175gr bullet and 2712 Joules/2000 ftlbs energy at 100 meters to hunt bison.

All that is of course well and good until we ask why that might be when we can legally hunt a bull moose or elk with a .17 Hornet, you know? wink

Incidentally I've just typed a similar post on the CCFR face plant page whereupon I suggested that energy doesn't kill anything really, as if it was a requirement then arrows could not/would not work, but the evidence for that does not support the thesis in my view.

When I was a kid I recall hearing an old gunsmith in a Saskatchewan town on the edge of moose country tell us that the local FN Cree preferred using a .22 on moose. Their method was to sneak in, place one through the heart and then freeze so as not to spook the moose. They claimed it was less alarmed by the small report of the .22 and would often die as quickly as if they'd used their usual larger arms, which were usually either a .303 or .30-30.

Anyways sir, it's time for me to unload the firewood that our daughter and I managed to pick up on yesterday's hunt - no shooting was done and no animals harmed, but we had a grand visit and came down with enough wood to heat the place for a couple weeks at least. Not bad considering we didn't have a saw! laugh

Full disclosure, it's end cuts from the feller buncher. wink

All the best to you all this season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"