Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by Ringman
Recently I saw videos of cops arresting good guys for taking down bag guys. They are not endearing themselves to the general population.

What's so sad for me is I am old and remember when everyone help police in high esteem.

when I lived in Bklyn NY the beat cop treated us kids like he was our uncle. we would run to the store to get him a sandwich and he would give us enough to buy a ball to play with. they were tough guys but very fair. they were not robots and never bothered with trivial stuff. if he saw two kids fighting he would boot them in the azz tell them to go home.
My father was a cop then detective in NYC never fired his gun. he and his partners were proud of it. he arrested mass murderers satanists doing human sacrifice bank robbers rapists etc. He was WWII vet as most of them at that time. a different breed of men

I was born in Staten Island, my whole family was on a job including myself, short stent. You’re right cops were different Then,A boot in the ass and on your way home or throw the kid in the back of the car and take them home and his father we give him a boot in the ass. But that was in a good neighborhood, My brother was a detective also.he was in the 77 precinct Brooklyn he was involved in 8 shoot outs 6 on the books :)four hits three DOA That was in the 80s,90s, He held The record in New York when he was in the gun squad, 125 guns in one year most people don’t realize how many guns were on the street. Your dad is very lucky never having to fire his weapon, my father and his two brothers also World War II veterans never had to discharge there firearms also, But they were different times for themP.m. me your dad’s name I’ll see if my brother knew him.