Off the thread subject, but I gotta tell one more story on myself. Elk hunting in lodgepole near John Day one morning, lightly snowing, lousy visibility, I got my trusty Silva plastic compass on a short lanyard around my neck. Left the pickup in the dark, heading on a more or less straight line magnetic north, in hopes of cutting smokin' hot tracks or maybe even an elk. 3 hours or so later I cut some man tracks, damn, thought I had it all to myself. So I crossed the man track, hunted for another hour or so, getting tired in the snow, decide to head back to the pickup. Watching the compass fairly close bearing south, cut man tracks again! Damn, I dig out the loose snow, hmm...the guy is wearing Danner air bobs, just like me, uh oh, what's going on? Those are my tracks. Took about 10 minutes of head scratching, and I had un -shouldered my Sako, fiddling with the compass. That Sako was so magnetized, the compass was affected on the short lanyard, and switching the rifle right to left shoulder made me do a 4 hour figure eight. Sako barrel got the ac welder treatment when I got home.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.