Originally Posted by UncleAlps
The Suunto Optical Compass is far and away the highest quality, most accurate and easiest to use. This is the same as I have used for the last 30 years Surveying and Engineering all over the World. The amazing thing is that it currently cost the same as when I purchased mine. You hold it up to your right eye and look at the target with your left eye. Your brain superimposes the compass reading directly over your target. It's accurate to a half degree or less.

https://www.thecompassstore.com/51kb14360r.html

From your description, it sounds like it works similarly to a Suunto Clinometer, which I use often. Tried the compass many years ago, didn't like it in thick woods trying to sight on a landmark ahead of me; too many things to look at simultaneously. Also, you can't use the optical kind of compass to plot a course on a map like you can with a mirror-sight, rotating bezel type. Probably ok for shooting for the bearing to a target, but more difficult to use to run an already-determined bearing.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.