Originally Posted by Windfall
A pin on compass over the top of a cell phone in a breast pocket does not point anywhere but at the cell phone. Experience is a great teacher.

Yup. Don't pin a compass on the same side as a phone, 2-way radio, gps, or pacemaker. And be aware of how far it is away from your rifle barrel or other chunks of steel when trying to get a reading on the compass.

When hunting areas I have some familiarity with I wear a pin-compass and carry a baseplate type or Silva Ranger in my pack or pocket. Usually have a marked up topo map too. If hunting new or strange area I'll have all that, but use regular compass more and stash the pin-on, and maybe carry a gps.

One of the few times I went out without a compass many yrs ago I ended up needing one. Two of us hunting new area, plan was a short scout paralleling a road, went in opposite directions planning to meet back at truck in a couple of hrs. Heavy overcast day, flat terrain, wooded (spruce, few patches birch or alders), so no good sun or terrain aid for navigation. I get back to truck and no sign of the other guy. Wait a little while, then hear faint three shot signal. Dig pack and compass out of truck, shoot bearing, fire reply shot, then take off into woods. Found the guy about half hour later a long way from planned route. He didn't take a compass either, lost his orientation with road, was walking straight away when he signaled. Fortunately he heard my reply shot and turned around so was partway back when we met. Next road in direction he was heading was at least 20 miles.